3



Some ‘time’, by that I mean it could happen in any time period I happen to visit, the sky is liable to explode in a cascade of lights: a coruscated sky. That’s why I plan to spend as many nights as possible outside. In 2030 no one had memories of such a thing happening. But that doesn’t mean it didn’t happen sometime prior to 2030. In assessing human history, memories are usually the most unreliable source.

Either I had dozed off or had simply been lost in a bit of reverie when a bump in the road caused me to awkwardly shift in my seat (this was before seatbelts).

“Sorry about that. The bump seemed like it appeared out of nowhere.”
“I guess road repair is not the top of the agenda.”
“Actually, it is. The government is looking for all kinds of things that need fixing in order to give men and women jobs. I guess the road crews just haven't made it out this far yet.”
“Well, the bump was probably a good thing. I needed waking up, obviously. It wasn’t polite of me to doze off like I did.”
“No offense taken. But I will say that politeness is one of the few nice things left in a society short on cash and optimism.”

We had reached the farm supply store that she hoped would buy her hay. I said thanks and started walking into town.

The ancients believed the earth was the center of the universe. If we are the only conscious beings in the universe, then they were right.

Prestonville had a small park in the town square. I sat down on a bench underneath a shade tree and did some people watching. It must have been a weekday because only small children with adults were walking in and out of stores. The older kids were probably in school. There was a lot of foot traffic at a barber shop. I decided to eat lunch at ‘People’s Drug Store’. I took a seat at the counter and ordered a ham sandwich and a cup of coffee.
The man who served me appeared to be the only employee in the store. “Look here, I’ve got to fill a couple of prescriptions. Help yourself to as much coffee as you want.”
“Thanks, I’ll do that.”

The pharmacist walked over to the back part of the store where bottles of various 1930’s drugs were neatly positioned on the shelves and began working on filling the prescriptions. It must have been a slow part of the day because he and I were the only ones in the store.
About fifteen minutes later he came back over to the counter. “How was that sandwich? My wife cooks the ham in the morning and brings it over for the lunch crowd. You were lucky. Usually whatever she cooks is gone by this time.”
“I see why.”

His name was Bill, age 52, born in a nearby town. He moved to Prestonville a few months after finishing pharmacy school. A year later he married the preacher’s daughter. They had three kids, and now even had a couple of grandchildren. He had no plans of retiring.
“With this damn depression not ending, I’ll probably have to work until I’m eighty.”
I could have told him he would die of a heart attack in a few years but that would be needlessly cruel.

Bill then asked the inevitable question, “What brings you here?”
“Just passing through. Caught a ride into town with a lady selling hay.”
“Come from an easterly direction?”
“That’s right. How did you know?”
“The only woman around these parts who brings her farm products into town by herself is Maggie Herbstreet. She lost her in husband in a farming accident last year. They didn’t have any kids so she’s running the farm by herself.”
“That’s’ pretty impressive.”
“Now she does have part-time help, but they come and go with the seasons.”
Bill and I talked for another hour before the late afternoon crowd, which including kids and teenagers just getting out school, started coming in. I told Bill goodbye.

I then walked a little over five miles before making camp for the night. The same stream that had flowed by the night before was once again close to where I slept.

It was very dark. I purposely avoided artificial lights of any kind so I could have a clear view of the heavens. I did see one falling star before slipping off into unconsciousness.
I was stirred awake by someone gently kicking me in the side. I looked up to see a uniformed man towering over me.

“Wake up, bum! You’re on private property.”
“I didn’t see a no trespassing sign.”
“Some other bum must have torn it down. Now get up and get moving. Pronto!”

I had no desire for conflict with the law. Now I could have easily persuaded the officer to allow me to stay there but since I had gotten a good night’s sleep and the sun was beginning to rise, there was no real point in staying. I assumed a shuffling gait as I left. I didn’t want the officer to think I was spry and agile. He might have decided he could fine me and make me work it off manicuring the courthouse grounds.

The greatest speed in the universe is the speed of thought. Using it, you can instantaneously travel millions of light years in a fraction of a second. It’s the favorite mode of travel for celestial beings. Not that I’ve ever met a celestial being. We don’t go to the same cocktail parties.

In the days ahead, I would have to be a little more careful where I bedded down for the night. The past night I had slept a little too close to the road and as a result, I was more easily spotted by passersby.

But the area of the country I was in was predominantly a heavily rural one and vehicles along the road were as a rule few and far between. This was also a time when a few farmers, the ones who couldn’t afford gasoline, were still using either horses or mules to carry their agricultural products to market.  I was offered a lift on such a conveyance around mid-morning. I sat beside the driver, a farmer named Lucius Applebaum. He looked to be past sixty-five.

I asked him, “What do you think about Mr. Roosevelt’s new Social Security program?”
“I’m against it. People in this part of the country take care of their own security, social or otherwise.”
“But lots of folks live in the city and can’t grow their own food and have to make rental payments each month. Once they lose their jobs or simply lose the ability to work productively, they have nothing to fall back on.”
“That’s why you save.”

Lucius was a hard nut to crack but I can’t say I totally disagreed with his sentiments.

Is the human race one individual, by that I mean, if someone was to put all of us together into one body, would it be overall a healthy body or a sick one? If it was a football game, it would be the fourth quarter, and one team (us) would be about forty points behind with time running out. But who is the other team?

Lucius was taken watermelons to the market in a town called Reutersburg. Before getting to town he directed the two mules to a large oak tree where an artesian well had been flowing since colonial days. While the mules drank, Lucius cracked open one of the smaller melons and offered me half.

“The smaller ones are sometimes the tastiest ones.”
Now that’s one subject in which we were in total agreement.
Before parting, Lucius said, “If you’re still around town tonight, you ought try out Mama Jody’s place on the west side. There’s a young man playing some hot guitar.”
“The Blues?”
“Nothing but.”

The places I’d been and would be going to were not always places that could be found on the same map. The information on a map was never one-hundred percent correct because as soon as the map was printed, something had changed. In my case, the changes were even more profound because the places I visited weren’t always in the same time period.
I did go that night to the “juke joint”. It was loud and smoky with a slight hint of potential violence in the air. I stayed for a couple of hours and the music was unlike anything I’d ever heard before. Amazing what a talented individual can do with only a voice, acoustic guitar and harmonica.

I had to buy something to drink so I could stay there. There was no cover charge. I think the drink I got was something they call 99 proof whiskey. Luckily, my stomach was immune to almost anything I could throw at it.

After my experience with the law officer, and the fact that I was still probably inside his territorial authority, I decided to spend the night in a flea bag hotel. As it turned out, the fleas did not seem to be interested in me.

I visited the local undertaker, a Mr. Samuel Samuels, the next morning before leaving town. I had been planning to meet a certain individual in Reutersburg but was told at the juke joint he had recently passed away. This surprised me because I had been operating under the assumption that everyone on my list would be still be alive when I “accidently ran” into them.
The undertaker was also the town’s life insurance salesman. Which means he profited from both death and life. Not a bad way to go.

As it turns out no one had died recently. Samuels was at his life insurance office. I walked in and asked the secretary if I could have a minute of Mr. Samuels’ time.

She said sure, then hollered, “Hey, Sam, somebody wants to talk to you.”
A sonorous voice came wafting from the back office, “Send ‘em on back.”
I walked in his office and said, “Mr. Samuels…”
“Call me Sam and have a seat. Make yourself comfortable.”
I started to wonder why Sam was being so nice to a stranger. Did he think I needed life insurance or did he think I was about to die?
We exchanged a few more pleasantries. Apparently, it had been a wet spring. The crops were looking good.
I then said, “I wanted to ask you about a man you buried a few days ago. I was hoping to talk to him in person but sadly, I found out he had only recently passed away.”
“You mean Lincoln Adams?”
“That’s right.”
“Well, if your questions aren’t too personal, I might be able to answer a few. I didn’t know Lincoln that well. He pretty much kept to himself.”
“Didn’t he serve in World War I?”
“I’m not sure. If he did, he never talked about it.”
I stood up. That was the only answer I needed.
Sam looked a little surprised but quickly recovered. “Have you thought about buying life insurance?”
“Mine is already paid in full.” I answered. Smiling, I left Sam’s place of business.

Each one of us creates his or her own reality – a smaller reality inside a greater reality. And just like reality itself, there are no limits in size, in either direction.