25



My presumption is that the concept of personal time changes when you’re immortal. You no longer think in terms of minutes or hours or days. You think in terms of centuries or longer. Time really does fly by.

For many thousands of years mortality was the normal condition of mankind. Immortality will be the new normal.

By the way, I’m not immortal. When my assignment is over, I’ll go back to the year 2020, the year I’m writing this. I may or may not die in 2030. It could be earlier, or it could be a little later. Timelines can vary in small ways, as long as the changes don’t cause major ripples in the time stream.

The universe was made for man, not man for the universe.

You have a better chance of seeing the light if the world is in darkness. Partial darkness makes it harder to see the light.

I had a few more stops to make before my journey ended. First stop was Valleytown. They were selling green beans, okra and tomatoes at the Farmer’s Market. I purchased a bag of each and went looking for the hobo camp. I was back in the middle of the Depression. I went down to the railroad track and started walking north out of town. Dark clouds were threatening rain, but the rain had not yet begun to fall. I reached the hobo camp after a short walk and when I got there, I asked around for Jerome. He was underneath a ragged blanket that he was using for a canopy. It hung between an elm tree and a large mulberry bush. He was attempting to get a fire going but his hands were shaking so bad, he couldn’t light a match. I took the match out of his hand and got the fire going.

Jerome said, “Thanks, Mister.”
Me: “You don’t remember me?”
Jerome raised his head and looked at me. “Can’t say I do. Should I?”
Me: “If you don’t remember me, then you’re not supposed to.”
I handed Jerome the bags of green beans, okra and tomatoes. When I was sure the fire wasn’t going to die out, I left.

Next stop was 1924 and a factory in Toledo. I was standing outside the entrance gate when a man came walking toward me.

He said, “Haven’t I seen you before?”
Me: “No, but you will if you don’t listen to me.”
Man: “That doesn’t make sense.”
Me: “Quit betting on the horses, stay away from bootleg whiskey, and be careful in the stock market in 1929.”
Man: “Huh?”

I then went back to Valleytown (the same time period as before) and bought green beans, okra and tomatoes at the Farmer’s Market and then took them to the hobo camp along the railroad track north of town. When I got there, I asked for Jerome. Nobody had ever heard of him. I gave away the bags of produce.

I sense that my time in the past is growing short. I’ve seemed to suddenly acquire the ability to go anywhere I want in the time period of 1920 to 1970. Most of what I was assigned to do I have done, though due to the nature of the enterprise, there will always be gaps that need filling.

I then go to New York City in August of 1945. Japan has finally surrendered, and World War II is officially over. I’m standing on a wide avenue. Both sides of the street are filled with cheering people, exhilarated and exhausted at the same time. A well-deserved victory parade is in progress and many of the heroes of the war are in the parade. Millions of pieces of confetti are floating down from the tall buildings and skyscrapers of Manhattan.

General Dwight Eisenhower, future president, and recent commander of all allied forces in Europe, comes riding by in a convertible. Beside him is his wife, Mamie. They’re waving to the adoring crowd. There are soldiers and sailors, marines and airmen, as well as women in uniform from the European front of World War II. They are available to be in the parade because that part of the war ended in May. There are no servicemen from the Pacific Theater present, but a parade will be held for them too, at a later date.

Similar parades are probably going on in many parts of Europe but most of them are being held in cities where great destruction has taken place. Churches a thousand years old have been destroyed, office buildings razed, storefront windows broken, and on and on. But still a sense of joy pervades the people and their lands.

Night finally falls on Manhattan after a long day of uninterrupted and unalloyed celebration. I make my way out of the city and when I reach a point about ten miles out, I turn around and look back at the city. All the rooms of all the skyscrapers have their lights on. Then I wonder if someone somewhere has decided to send a message to time wanderers. For in that moment, every light in every room in every skyscraper flashes on and off for a full minute. The effect is startling to say the least. It is perhaps the greatest manmade coruscation in history. It’s a foretaste of what will happen to the universe.

Next stop is twenty years forward. I’m standing behind some large boulders somewhere in the western part of the country. I hear the sound of multiple horseshoes hitting the ground. There’s an opening between two of the boulders and I see a group of horses with both men and women riders, all of them dressed in brightly colored cowboy accessories such as boots, jeans, shirts and ten-gallon hats. The lead rider is the only one who looks comfortable on a horse and his attire is much more subdued. I must be in the vicinity of a dude ranch located in perhaps New Mexico or Arizona. After they pass, I walk down to the trail they were on but decide not to follow them but to go in the opposite direction.

I go down into a ravine then cross over a couple of hills. Mesquite trees are haphazardly here and there. Cacti are more abundant. I see a couple of rattlesnakes and a horned toad. I don’t stop to visit with them.

I end up at an old miner’s shack, long abandoned but thanks to the dry air and scant vegetation, still maintaining its primacy as the place to be in this part of the world. If this shack falls apart, we all fall apart. When the world ends, this old shack will document it.
The oldest things must survive. They give value to all things living. You have to start somewhere and if you don’t remember where you started, then you’re really nowhere.
In order to travel the universe at the speed of thought, we face the difficult task of transitioning to a universal consciousness, while at the same time retaining our self-consciousness and individuality.  If we lose our individuality, we might as well call the whole thing off. The universe is not looking for and does not need any more bright, unthinking objects.

Immortality is not a luxury. The only reason for immortality is immortality. Otherwise intelligent existence is ultimately meaningless. Immortality and an infinite universe go hand in hand and are made for each other.

Next stop is the Shenandoah Valley, east of Washington, D.C., in the late 1940’s when families in America were first starting to look at the big box in their living rooms. I’m beside a busy mountain highway about to enter a model city. This city was built after World War II and was funded by the government. Its purpose was to highlight all the great new gadgets that would be for sale in America in the next few years. One of those was the television set. As ubiquitous as it later became in America, in the 1940’s it was still relatively rare. Most homes had a radio and most families still went to the movies when they wanted to see filmed entertainment. But TV was catching on fast and the upward trend has never abated.

The model town symbolized the burgeoning technological zeitgeist of mid-twentieth century America. A purveyor of scolism made the sarcastic remark that religion needs to keep up with technology. “Better technology makes better religion.” To be fair, both religion and technology are symbolic in nature and for anything symbolic to have meaning, it must have something solid to stand on. In the case of technology, among many new and exciting things, you had the solid state television set. But I’m again being anachronistic. Time traveling will do that to you as well as the tendency to repeat yourself, which is perhaps the essence of time travel. But I digress. Which is also…

Let’s get to the point of why I visited the model town. I wanted to see the latest and greatest state of the art television set that was around in 1947 or thereabouts. The department store I chose to do my searching was very busy and all the sales clerks were occupied. This gave me the chance to spend a little alone time with a television set. I chose one in the corner, away from the crowds. It was a demo set, plugged in and attached to an outside antenna (it said so on the decal attached to the set). It also said in bold red letters, “Try Me!” I turned on the set, switched it from VHF to UHF (I’ll leave it to you to look up these ancient terms if you are so interested). I then turned the knob to station 51. 

To my astonishment, two bright, shiny apparitions shaped in the form of a human, appeared on the screen. They were TLBs.

The one to the left said telepathically to me, “Hi, mate, we’ve been waiting to talk to you.” Strangely enough, he was talking in an Australian accent.

The one to the right said, also telepathically, “Don’t be so rude. Tell him who we are.”
“We’re James and Matilda.”
They must have given me the ability to answer back telepathically, “The only TLB I’ve run into wasn’t the friendliest guy around. What’s changed?”
James: “We’re actually talking to you from the future. We’ve been working for almost a thousand years with the humans helping them to develop their telepathic skills and during that time we’ve grown quite fond of them. We’re not bogans, you know.”
Me: “How far in the future are you?
James: “No can tell. That’s classified.”
Me: “Why do you speak telepathically with an Australian accent?”
Matilda: “That was the tribe of humans we were assigned to. Australians are a fun bunch, especially at their barbies. James is usually the heat for the meat.”
Me: “You must have an official reason of some kind for contacting me.”
James: “We’ve been monitoring you the last the few days. We thought you might enjoy initiating and managing your time jumps so we transmitted that ability to you.”
Me: “How long will I have it?”
Matilda: “It’s already expired.”
Me: “I guess you also implanted in me the desire to visit this department store and look at this particular television.”
Matilda: “Righto, mate!”
Me: “So what’s up?”
James: “Take a look around at the people in the store. Do you notice anything different from when you first entered?
I stood and gazed around the store. Sure enough, everyone had a bright, yellow halo.
Me: “What’s going on?”
James: “That’s humanity’s new tracking protocol. The halo, which is invisible to the human eye, except when we allow it to be seen,  records the individual’s DNA sequence, a MPC (Memory, Personality, Character) chip, and a highlight film that contains the significant moments and events in his or her life, especially the ones that were life-changing. When the individual dies, his or her halo is stored in a cyber unified force field, CUFF for short, for retrieval at a future date and is used to reconstitute the individual in preparation for immortality conditioning.”
Matilda: “Off the Cuff is the term we use for bringing them back to life.”

It didn’t take long to dawn on me what they were really saying.

Me: “So I and others like me are no longer needed?”

I think James was responding telepathically, but his voice was faint, and a darkness began descending…

Even if I could no longer see them, the night sky was filled with coruscations.

The End